This is our go-to camping breakfast because it’s a one-pan meal and it’s easier to heat tortillas over a campfire than it is to make toast. Breakfast tacos are also a favorite of our toddler, so of course, we keep making them! We usually cook this in our camper on the gas stove, but it’s 100% doable over a campfire as well, just use a well-seasoned cast iron and watch the eggs to make sure they don’t brown.
If we have two mornings camping, we have this both mornings. It’s part of my Weekend Camping Menu Your Family Will Love! This shopping list will make two days worth of meals for two adults and a toddler depending on appetites:
- One dozen eggs
- One package (12 links) pre-cooked turkey sausage
- 16 oz shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Package of 12 taco-size tortillas
- Pint of fresh-made pico de gallo or salsa from the produce section
- Butter & Milk – which we usually are bringing from home anyway!
A perfect hearty one-pan meal for camping.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 links pre-cooked turkey sausage
- 6 eggs
- dash milk
- fresh pico de gallo store-bought
- 6 taco-size flour or corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mexican style cheese blend
- salt and pepper
Heat 1 tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Cut sausage into chunks and add to pan. I use a pair of kitchen scissors and cut them directly into the pan. Cook until heated through and brown. Turn heat to low, add 1 tbsp of butter and allow to melt.
Scramble eggs and milk in a bowl, then add to skillet. Cook eggs slowly, stirring occasionally. When eggs are almost set, add cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat tortillas over campfire or on the stove. I use a pair of tongs and heat them very carefully over our gas stove.
Assemble tacos with pico de gallo, hot sauce and lime on the side as desired.